Sunday, October 2, 2011

What's in a Name? (Recipe: Snickerdoodle Cookies)


Since this time last year, snickerdoodles have become a mainstay in the Cookshack. Out of all the cookies in the world, this is the most requested one. No offense, but I really do not like snickerdoodles. Which is why there can remain two dozen in the kitchen and I never eat them. I wanted to know what a snickerdoodle was, but apparently no one really knows. Thanks wikipedia, I thought you were the creator of all knowledge?
Snickerdoodles.
Also, I have a bone to pick with Facebook! You tell all my secrets. I am not supposed to be baking as much because I'm going to school. Again. My sister told me I needed to let go of taking care of so many people and concentrate on my studies. Well what kind of wonder woman would I be if I couldn't bake and save the world and learn how to effectively manage non profits if I couldn't do them ALL  at the same time.  So I'm baking away yesterday and thought, " I need to be sharing more with the wonderful people who've taken the time to "like" the Cookshack." And my phone rings. It's my sister. Wanting to know why I was baking snickerdoodles. Note: If I start stuttering REALLY bad, more than likely I am laying. So to avoid lying to her, I ask, "What? Why am I doing what?" She replies, "BAKING. SNICKERDOODLES. WHY?" Me: "Uh, what? I can't hear you? And HOW do you know what I'm doing?" She then commences to tell me Facebook, DUH and could she have some cookies. I thought I was in trouble and didn't even get a chance to find out she was pleased to see the Magic Oven on and ready for some fresh cookies!

We've had some feedback about everyone's recipe for snickerdoodles, and we'd like to hear how yours are different. If you are not a snickerdoodle fan like myself, I'd surely welcome what your favorite cookie is!

Happy Baking.
Love, Peace, and Pie.
MBB

A food group here at the Cookshack: butter and sugar.

What's a little lard? If you eat them standing up, don't all the calories go to your feet?

I could take a bath in the batter.

Waiting its turn to go in the Magic Oven.
Ode to the Snickerdoodle.














Snickerdoodles

Serves:  48
(Note: Unless you want to spend ALL afternoon in the kitchen,  DO NOT double the recipe like I did yesterday).

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
1 1/2 c white sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla extract
2 3/4 c flour (all purpose)
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 T white sugar
2 t ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 c. sugar, the eggs, and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

3. Mix the 2T sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on un-greased baking sheets.

4. Bake 8-10 minutes (and in our oven, it is 8 minutes. Period.) OR until set but NOT too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

5. Enjoy. Or give to others to fight over and enjoy!

Love always,
MBB

Snickerdoodle anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment